ASK A PIONEER
Q1 I LOST A LOVED ONE RECENTLY BUT MY FRIENDS MAKE ME FEEL LIKE I SHOULD BE OKAY. IT HASN’T BEEN THAT LONG. I TEAR UP UNEXPECTEDLY AND WORRY THAT SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH ME. IS THERE?
Grieving is individual and cannot be rushed.
Tearing up is part of the process and will likely be for a while. Typically, with the passage of time, our pain’s intensity diminishes. Once this happens, energy previously occupied by grief can hold the love we feel alongside the reality of loss. Contact our social workers for help coping with loss.
Q2 I AM SUPPOSED TO HAVE A SURGERY THIS YEAR. ANY TIPS FOR PREPARING AHEAD?
A2 To avoid extra bills and higher costs, make sure all doctors, surgeons, anesthesiologists, and specialists, as well as the hospital, surgicenter, and rehab are in-network
- Check if you live in a state that has state disability—your state may not. If you are eligible, apply in advance and submit all documentation.
- Complete paperwork to take leave from work
- Bring your durable power of attorney for healthcare on surgery day
If you require rehab after surgery:
- Pay bills beforehand
- Ensure mortgage and insurance payments are made
- If you need extensive recovery time and can’t work or receive disability, inquire into whether holds can be placed on payments for student loans, car loans, etc., until you are able to return to work
- Put a hold on your cable and other subscriptions like your daily paper
- Stop the mail (or have someone collect it for you)
Finally, ask a family member or close friend to be the point person for communication regarding all of the above.
“for nearly 70 years the paf has been there for folks in our business who have faced a serious life challenge. we are a unique resource for those in need.”
–mark christiansen, WRMPPF BOARD MEMBER
Healthy Trails to You!
Pain is not something we think of wanting to be “present for”, “open to”, or “mindful of”, yet doing so might help with our discomfort.
• TAKE SOME DEEP BREATHS (WHILE STANDING, SITTING, OR LYING DOWN)
• NOTICE WHAT BUBBLES FROM WITHIN: SENSATIONS, WORDS, IMAGES, IMPULSES
• BE OPEN TO THIS INNER WISDOM. IS THERE SOMETHING YOU FEEL COMPELLED TO DO? NOTICE THE CORRELATION TO YOUR PAIN LEVEL.
ALWAYS SEEK THE CARE OF A DOCTOR IF PAIN PERSISTS. CONTACT OUR SOCIAL WORKERS for support.
“WHEN YOU’RE THROUGH LEARNING, YOU’RE THROUGH”–Will Rogers
Buck Up Buckaroos!
Paying off debt needn’t be an exercise in frustration. An online debt calculator can help. Enter the amount or amounts you owe, including interest. You can enter a monthly
minimum payment, calculate based on a target payoff date, or toggle between the two. A good app will quickly calculate how long it will take you to pay off the loan or credit card, plus provide a breakdown of principal and interest. Bonus: this simple debt calculator is free. Call our social workers for free budgeting help and an additional debt calculator.
your monthly cow poke joke
Two men meet on opposite sides of a river. One shouts to the other “I need you to help me get to the other side!” The other guy replies, “You are on the other side!”